Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So - I spent yesterday at Cedar Point with teenagers




Two Christmas's ago I had the idea that it would be fun to take my brother Evan (now 14) and my cousin's kids Michael and Lynne (almost 15 and 16) to Cedar Point for a day of fun and adventure. Last summer I was pregnant and having a newborn, so this was the time. Evan's been babysitting a couple times a week for free all summer and Mikey and Lynne's dad died prematurely a couple months ago, so it seemed like an especially good idea to follow through. My Michael was going to come, but the weather, some work things, and his remembrance of his experiences there last year changed that plan last night. Additionally, Evan asked last night if his next door neighbor Samantha (13) could come too. I was so nervous to try to converse with adolescents who I don't know well for the most part and who are culturally so different from me. I think it went o.k., but spending hours in line with hot, impatient, thirsty, hungry, immature kids wanting to do different things was a challenge. Especially as they spit into the ponds to watch the fish eat it, loudly complained and hung on/hit each other during our waits. When we got in the car to go home though, they all fell asleep after about 15 minutes and reminded me of my baby. I can feel so tender toward them when they're not talking or moving :) God bless those of you who have relationships with teenagers who aren't able to talk about real or serious things.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

YES!!! I love Cedar Point. Remember the last time we went Karen?

8:15 PM

 
Blogger karen said...

Yup-vaguely. I think I remember Jen being there - who else was with us? Did we try to cram a lot of people in our room by using roll-away beds? Pretty sure that was the last time I was the last time I was on a coaster. It is a great feeling and the views of the water and park are great.

2:01 PM

 
Blogger Lara said...

Oh my gosh Karen, don't you remember when the cops questioned you in your night shirt? How could you forget? Jenn and Sandi were there and Jeff, J and maybe Mich, I can't remember.

9:40 PM

 
Blogger karen said...

I totally don't!!! Either I was really tired or I'm innately at ease with policemen in the bedroom :) I know I wasn't drunk. I have a horrible memory, which is one of the many reasons I need my friends - to remind me of how cool and fun my life was more than a week ago.

11:49 PM

 
Blogger Denise said...

Brave, Karen!
I bet you were great.

5:32 PM

 
Blogger Simone said...

YES! Funny how teenagers regress to acting just like our toddlers, eh? I keeping thinking in my head when I'm around teenagers, "could I have really been that immature? Naaaa."
Karen, I'm so proud of you. You followed through on one of those "it would be really nice to do for my little brother" thoughts. Good job. You are fun and easy to talk to. I'm sure they enjoyed it despite their complaining teenagerness.

2:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home