Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The joys of coaching...

Last night, both of the teams I coach had a game in Fennville. Apparantly a girl quit because she wanted to ride the bus home with her boyfriend. She didn't tell me though- she just didn't show up. I started 6 players and (the inevitable), one girl is sulking on the bench because she didn't start. So the girl's mother (who's in the stands) sends a messenger with a NexTel, so they can "chat" about how unjust I am. I look over at my player and say, "don't talk on the phone during the game".
She then hands me the phone (in the middle of a game) where the mom is looking at me from the stands and yelling at me over the NExtel saying "don't you yell at my daughter". "I'm in the middle of a game" I say. "I can't talk to you!"So after the game, (which both my teams won), the mom comes up to me. The conversation is as follows:

Angry mother- "don't you tell me when I can and can not talk to my daughter. I'll talk to her anytime I please".
Me- "it's a pretty normal rule that you can't talk on a phone during a game".
Angry mother- "don't get smart with me. If you had a daughter, you could talk to her anytime you wanted."
Me- "I think we just have two different views of the situation. In my opinion, that kind of thing is not acceptable. You're not doing you're daugther any favors by making her think that she can do whatever she wants".
Angry mother (who is even angrier)- "I'll do what I want!!!! She's MY DAUGHTER!!!!! SHe told me that you don't like black people!!!!"
Me- rolling my eyes...
Angry mother- "Are you rolling your eyes at me?!!?? Don't get smart with me!!"

So all this time, there is another mother waiting throughout the crazy conversation. After angry mother finally leaves, she comes up to me. I think she's going to say something like, "don't worry- she's just irrational, good game, etc." The conversation is as follows:

Mother #2- "I was waiting for your conversation to be done. WHat I want to tell you is- why is one of the players wearing spandex when everyone else is wearing shorts? Does she think she's better than everyone else?"

This morning, two of my players got suspended for 5 days for trying to pull each other's hair out. Apparently, one of them called the other one a "skank".

I love coaching 8th grade girls!

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt Swier said...

I've had some "interactions" with said mother as well....

11:30 AM

 
Blogger karen said...

oh my gosh. they sound like birth parents and criminals to us :)

10:51 PM

 
Blogger kukailimoku said...

Missy,

This is hilarious. Really. I so empathize with you. I am told on a regular basis that I don't like black people, or hispanic people. It's a very sad defense.

Your account has me all stirred up! I need to settle down before I go to school.

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Kimberly said...

Bless your heart, I give credit to anyone who can work with teens. It is deffinately not my blessing. Put parents in the mix and sports you can have a mess. Stand on your principles sister!

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Rachel Wozniak said...

Next time you should say something back, like, "Wait,... you're black?!" Just to see how she responds. Or better yet, have a t-shirt made!

3:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home