Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The biggest challenges often come in small packages

I was just writing to my family, and realized that I have more sympathetic ears than I normally take advantage of. I'm sure all you teachers in particular can relate. Here's what I was writing...the background is that I teach in an inner city school, and though many, if not most of the kids have problems, this one student has severe issues (has-tortured-animals kinds of issues).
She is a little girl I lovingly refer to as "my runt." She got passed around from class to class, and even school to school, until she ended up with me. Well, on an average day, she is simply annoying and disruptive. As I feared, her presence has completely altered the dynamic of my classroom. She certainly functions far better with us than she has anywhere else, but unfortunately, because of her, we are noticeably less efficient than we used to be. Even considering the other trouble kids, we were building a system that worked for us. Still, everyone needs a home, a place to feel welcome, and I am more than happy to provide this place for her. But it is so difficult! She doesn't do herself any favors, either. She creates conflict and is a constant disruption and distraction. She is not emotionally in touch, so she feels no guilt or remorse... imagine trying to discipline and mold her behavior so that she can be successful! Without a doubt one of my most challenging tasks. Thankfully, she will finally receive her psychological consultation in a couple of weeks. I truly hope it leads to her receiving the services she needs, because even though I know I am a significant and positive presence for her, she needs more than I can give her. Anyway, point being, I had to be so hard on her today. I spoke more forcefully than I've had to speak to any child, or any person for that matter. She was completely out of control, and I knew I had to do it, but I literally had to brace myself. Even though they were just a few words, they took so much out of me. I let her sit in the office alone until the end of the day (devastating for her, because she thrives on attention). When I picked her up she acknowledged her words and actions, and apologized and promised she would never behave that way again. Sadly, I've heard it all many times before. I told her I accepted her apology, but I wasn't sure I believed her anymore. She says tomorrow she's going to show me that she means it.
I'm trying to remain hopeful. I hate feeling this jaded.

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Angela-I admire you so much! I can't imagine dealing with that (well, actually I can). You must have a special gift to be able to do it at all.

4:15 PM

 
Blogger Rachel Henderson said...

You sound like a really great teacher. I'm glad that you have found your spot and that she has you. Kids need structure and expectations. You know that with the rest of your class. You were just giving that to her. It doesn't make you jaded. Jaded would be giving up on her. It sounds like you believed in her enough to give her order. Keep it up.

6:42 PM

 
Blogger Angela said...

Thanks for your support, ladies. I'm sure you've guessed that we were all back to our old selves yesterday. Promises of better things to come, all quite well forgotten. But I'm only human, and no idiot, so since I needed a break from the young lady, she got assigned to the Computer Work Station this morning, where she zoned out for a good twenty minutes...much to her joy, and mine.

11:47 AM

 
Blogger kukailimoku said...

Angela,

I definitely empathize. Some call it jaded, others thick-skinned, others - patience. I choose the latter. If I chose to enter into each of my childs' emotional vortexes, I would become engulfed. Certainly I would quit. It is to our (as teachers) and our students advantage to follow through on consequences or appropriate measured reactions to their ridiculous self-centeredness. All that with compassion, of course.

No wonder it is a hard job.

11:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home