Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rocky Mountain Christmas

I have been on a (minor) quest lately to find a good, quality Christmas album. I must say, it's a little difficult. I somehow struck out with Diana Ross & Placido Domingo live in Vienna, for example (something about opera mixed with cheesy American pop carols is just not right).

My personal (and really only) favorite is John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas, pictured at left. It's the perfect blend of classic (O Holy Night, What Child is This) and idiosyncratic (Please Daddy don't Get Drunk this Christmas, Christmas for Cowboys), all in a charming, consistent style.

So I'm wondering...does anyone else have favorites or recommendations?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Ella totally has the best Christmas album around, I think it's called Ella wishes you a swinging christmas. Also, how could you not feel all nostalgic over Tender Tennessee Christmas, I was raised on Amy Grant.

8:20 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

The Original Sound Track Recording of the CBS Television "Special A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio has been my favorite for a while now. It's mostly instramental, so if you just need something to sing along with, I'd go with "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby.

I have to add that I agree with Lara on Tender Tennessee Christmas. That's a good one too.

9:38 PM

 
Blogger karen said...

I grew up with an old world classical home, so Essential Carols by the Cambridge College choir is one of my dad's that I just ordered. Perfectly English. I've also been wanting Tchicovski's (sp?) Nutcracker.

12:05 AM

 
Blogger Angela said...

Jason, I was so pleased with your recs. They are absolutely two of the very best out there, and would have been my suggestions....I also hold Sufjan Stevens in high regard, D.

11:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home